sportsmed is committed to protecting your privacy. This privacy statement explains the type of personal and sensitive information including health information we collect, and how we handle that information as part of your relationship with sportsmed.
We understand that the information that you entrust to us is private and confidential. Any personal information collected by sportsmed is treated as confidential and follows the Australian Privacy Principles as contained in the Privacy Act 1988. All sportsmed staff sign a confidentiality agreement upon employment and are trained to respect your privacy in accordance with the applicable privacy laws, and our own policies and procedures.
WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
In this privacy statement, ‘personal information’ means information or an opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether the information or opinion is true or not, or whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
Personal information includes ‘sensitive information’ (which includes health information and information or an opinion about an individual’s racial origin, political opinion, membership of a political association or trade union, religious beliefs, sexual preferences or criminal record) and ‘health information’ (which includes information or opinion about the health or a disability of an individual, the individual’s wishes about the provision of health services, or health services provided or to be provided to an individual). In this privacy statement, a reference to personal information includes both sensitive and health information.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION IS HELD ABOUT ME?
sportsmed may hold the following information about you:
- Name, address, telephone number(s)
- Date of birth
- Marital status
- Email address
- Medicare card number
- Health information
- General practitioner
- Referring doctor
- Returned service organisation
- Transaction details associated with services we have provided to you
- Any additional information provided to us by you
- Any information you provided to us through patient surveys and feedback forms.
sportsmed will destroy or de-identify personal information due to redundancy, after our legal obligations to retain the information have expired.
Any information provided, including identification of individuals, will be used only for the purpose/s intended and where the intention includes confidentiality, information will be treated as such unless otherwise required by law.
HOW DO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Personal information collected by sportsmed may include your name, date of birth, address, contact details and private health insurance details. Sensitive information collected by sportsmed may include information about your health or medical history. We generally collect personal information in person, in writing, by telephone, email or via our website.
For example, we may collect information when you:
- Make an appointment to see a surgeon
- Book a surgical procedure
- Have customer interactions with us where we record system notes, voice recordings or telephone conversations
- Use our website feedback function
- Complete a patient survey regarding our services.
If you contact us with an enquiry about our services via our website or any other communication channel, we may use your personal information to contact you for the purposes of providing you with further information, and/or to follow up whether you have any interest in acquiring services from us. You can let us know anytime in writing or by calling us on the telephone number listed within the ‘Direct Marketing and Your Privacy’ section if you no longer wish to be contacted for these purposes. Your consent will remain current until you advise us otherwise.
Where you have provided us with personal information about other individuals (in writing or verbally) such as for your next of kin, you must ensure that they are aware or will be made aware that you have provided their personal information to us, and how we will handle their personal information. If the information you are providing to us is health or sensitive information you must first obtain their consent before providing information to us. We may also collect personal information from third parties such as:
- Health fund providers – to check your health fund eligibility and comply with such laws as Private Health Insurance Act 2007 (Cth) and the National Health Act 1953 (Cth)
- Other healthcare services to verify information you have provided to us
- The policy holder who is responsible for the management of your health insurance membership, or is authorised to provide us with information on your behalf, regarding your private health insurance cover and fees associated with our services
- Intermediaries who provide health services on behalf of sportsmed such as GPs, physiotherapy, radiology, pathology, medical physicians and other associated healthcare providers.
FOR WHAT PURPOSE DO WE COLLECT, HOLD, USE AND DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
sportsmed collects, holds, uses and discloses your personal information in order to provide you with healthcare related services including:
- Managing our ongoing relationship with you
- Answering any queries you may have in relation to healthcare services
- Assessing your suitability for health services in our facility – you may be referred to another healthcare facility under the care of our surgeon if your health history deems this necessary for your health and wellbeing
- Providing you with the opportunity to participate in other health and wellness programs conducted at sportsmed such as use of the onsite gym in your rehabilitation program
- Conducting patient surveys including satisfaction and feedback
- Conducting market research and analysis
- Managing reviews to develop and improve our services.
We may also collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information in order to:
- Train personnel
- Resolve legal and/or commercial complaints or issues in relation to compensation recovery
- Meet legislative requirements relating to healthcare providers
- Perform any of our functions and activities relating to our business
- We will generally only use personal information for the purpose for which it is collected or for a purpose that is related to the services you are provided at sportsmed.
sportsmed holds Statutory Immunity under Part 7, Section 64d of the Health Care Act 2008 for the hospitals research and education committees, where no personal information is disclosed in its processes.
We use personal information about you to:
- Provide medical treatment and care to you
- Assist your treating doctors, nursing staff and other allied health professionals to provide medical treatment and care to you
- Assist us to provide you with information about your care, if required
- Assist with our internal administrative requirements
- Process private health fund claims
- Supply information to medical practitioners, nurses and other allied health professionals who provide necessary follow up treatment and ongoing care
- Assist in the process of benchmarking and clinical indicator reporting in a de-identified form
- Provide data in both an identified and de-identified form to State Government agencies, in compliance with numerous legislative requirements
- Provide data in a de-identified form to the Private Data Bureau research and development
- Service planning
- Communication of offers and special events
WHO DO WE DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION TO?
sportsmed will not sell or disclose your personal details for any purpose that is not related to your relationship with us.
We rely on third parties such as healthcare funds and other service providers (pharmacy, radiology, pathology, physiotherapy) to perform specialised activities for sportsmed and your personal information may be provided to these third parties to enable them to perform their agreed services. sportsmed may also be required to disclose your information to comply with legislation.
We may disclose personal information for the purposes described under the heading ‘For what purpose do we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information?’ to our contracted service providers as listed above, as well as government authorities (Medicare Australia), other hospitals, medical and general treatment providers and persons authorised by you in the processes of our service provision.
If you are not the policy holder of the nominated private health fund elected to use for the provision of services at sportsmed, we may also disclose your personal information to the policy holder as part of administering and processing your eligibility for care under private health insurance provisions.
This may include the disclosure of sensitive and health information about services being used by you under the policy holder’s membership.
HOW TO ACCESS AND CORRECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We try to ensure that personal information we hold is accurate, complete and up to date. Please let us know if there are any errors in your personal information and keep us up to date with changes to your personal information such as change of address. You will be requested to check and update your personal information on each visit to our health services. If you believe that personal information that we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request amendments. We will consider if the information requires amendment and if we do not agree, we will add a note to the personal information stating your disagreement with the information
You may request access to your personal information held by sportsmed by writing to the manager of the area of the organisation (hospital, orthopaedics, physiotherapy, doctors or podiatry) that you wish to gain the information from.
You are not required to provide a reason for requesting access. Where we hold information that you are entitled to access, we will endeavour to provide you with a suitable range of choices as to how it may be collected e.g. post or collection.
HOW TO CONTACT US TO MAKE A PRIVACY COMPLAINT?
If you have any queries, concerns or complaints about the manner in which your personal information has been collected or handled by sportsmed, please contact our Director of Clinical Services Alison Zilm at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 336 002 or visit www.oaic.gov.au for further information.
DOES YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION GET TRANSFERRED OUTSIDE OF AUSTRALIA?
sportsmed does not knowingly store any information on computer servers outside of Australia or release personal information outside of Australia.
MARKETING AND YOUR PRIVACY
From time to time we may contact you to provide you with information about our services. When we contact you, it may be by mail, telephone, email, sms and/or via digital media channels.
When you become a patient of sportsmed you consent to us using your personal information for marketing purposes (for an indefinite period including after you may cease accessing our services), unless you contact us to withdraw your consent. Our most common form of marketing is via email which you may elect to opt-out of on our Patient Registration Form on your first visit. We also offer you a number of opportunities to opt-out of any marketing communications as you receive them.
If you are currently receiving marketing materials and wish to opt out, you can do so by following the unsubscribed links on emails or you can contact:
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: sportsmed Att: Executive Manager – Marketing and Communications, PO Box 61, Stepney SA 5069
- Telephone: 08 8130 1205
If you request not to receive marketing material, please note that we will still contact you in relation to our ongoing relationship with you whilst you undergo health services with us. For example, we will send you health service information, appointment notifications, bills, patient satisfaction surveys, statements and notices that are relevant to the services for which you are accessing at sportsmed.