- Australian Orthopaedic Association
Dr Matthew Hutchinson is an Australian-trained orthopaedic surgeon who treats both Adults and Growing Athletes with hip, knee and ankle conditions.
Dr Hutchinson is a consultant orthopaedic surgeon to a number of professional sporting teams within the AFL, AFLW, SANFL, NBL and Super Netball League. He provides the same very high standard of care to ‘weekend warriors’ and emerging junior athletes as he does to those currently competing at the highest level.
Dr Hutchinson has a special interest in;
- ACL Reconstruction
- Ankle Injuries
- Hip Replacement (direct anterior approach)
- Hip Arthritis
- Knee Arthroscopy
- Knee Replacement (3D patient-specific technology)
- Meniscus Tears and Treatment
- Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD)
- Patella Instability (kneecap dislocation)
- Plantar Fasciitis key-hole surgery
For further education and insight please visit Dr Hutchinson’s website.
Dr Hutchinson completed his medical degree at The University of Adelaide, and his orthopaedic surgery training at various hospitals in South Australia. He has also worked and trained at some of the most prestigious hospitals and universities in the world, during his clinical fellowships and advanced training in North America and Europe.
He is one of the few orthopaedic surgeons in Australia with genuine, sub-specialist training in treating both adults and children, and enjoys providing holistic care for the entire family.
Matthew is married with four children and his hobbies include long-distance triathlon and woodwork. He has competed at a number of state and national triathlons, including completing the Busselton Ironman (3.8km swim, 180km cycle, 42km run)
He has a genuine passion for his community and has received numerous local and national awards in recognition of this. In 2004 and 2005 he was named Young Australian of the year for South Australia, and recently received a Pride of Australia Medal.
Dr Matthew Hutchinson is an Adelaide Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Awards & Achievements
- Pride of Australia Medal, 2019
- Busselton Ironman, 2014
- Toronto Triathlon, 2013
- South Australian long-distance triathlon championships, 2014, 2015
- The University of Adelaide, Citation for Excellence in Teaching in the School of Medicine, 2012
- The University of Adelaide, Citation for Excellence in Teaching in the School of Medicine, 2011
- The University of Adelaide Sir Howard Florey Medal, 2006
- Young Australian of the Year for South Australia, 2004
- Young Australian of the Year for South Australia, 2005
- Australian Medical Association AMA(SA) Medical Elective Grant, Papua New Guinea, 2003
- Golden Key International Honour Society, The University of Adelaide, 2003
- Australia New Zealand Association for Medical Education (ANZAME) Research prize, 2003
- Royal Adelaide Hospital Research Prize, Finalist, 2003
- Fifteenth Honorary Life Member of the Adelaide Medical Students’ Society, 2003
- Adelaide Medical Students’ Society President’s Award for Service, 2003
- President, Adelaide University Medical Student’s Society, 2002
- Australian Government Rural Australian Medical Undergraduate Scholarship (RAMUS), 2000
- Australian Government John Flynn Scholarship for Rural Medicine, 1999