Adelaide’s Experienced Podiatrists
Our highly skilled podiatry team offer a range of management strategies for foot, ankle and leg problems affecting people of all ages. We are able to address these issues using exercise programs, strapping, dry needling, mobilisation, orthotics, and ongoing advice and education. Our podiatrists are also able to provide general foot care, including routine skin and nail management, as well as diabetes assessments and education.
Areas of interest include:
- Pre-operative assessment’
- Sports injuries
- Post-operative rehabilitation
- Children and adolescent podiatry
- Complex cases
- Falls prevention.
Our podiatrists are available at the below sportsmed locations. To make an appointment or enquiry with one of our podiatrists, contact the location directly or email email@example.com.
Stepney Healthcare Hub – 08 8130 1222
Monday – Thursday: 7:30am – 8:00pm
Friday: 7:30am – 7:00pm
Saturday: 8:00am – 12:00pm
Blackwood – 08 8130 1181
Monday: 8:00am – 7:00pm
Tuesday: 8:00am – 6:00pm
Wednesday: 8:00am – 7:00pm
Thursday: 8:30am – 6:30pm
Friday: 8:00am – 7:00pm
Henley Beach – 08 8130 1128
Monday – Friday: 8:00am – 6:00pm
You can find out more about our podiatrists near Adelaide, their special interests and consulting locations by visiting their profiles below.
Download below an informative Foot Health fact sheet from the Australian Podiatry Association that looks at the main causes of foot and lower limb pain and the best course for treatment. Watch the video too which highlights the importance of good foot health.
Arch Support Thongs
Archies arch support thongs are available to purchase for $35 from podiatry reception at our Stepney Healthcare Hub. The thongs come in a range of sizes and different colours, while there are both standard and high arch support models to cater for varying arch type and support needs.
The 2.2cm orthotic support found within Archies thongs can help brace the foot in a more biomechanically appropriate position, easing stress and strain. The thongs feature a soft, high quality foam material, tighter strap and extremely lightweight design. The tighter strap and lightweight design allow for more optimal foot function, enabling you to walk with a more natural gait pattern than what you would experience than other thongs, while the soft foam material can help with improved comfort when walking long distances.
Our foot and ankle team have found Archies thongs to be highly useful for patients suffering from conditions such as plantar fasciitis. The soft arch support helps provide a more optimal environment for healing to occur when compared to walking bare-feet on hard surfaces or typical flat thongs.
To order a pair or find out more about the arch support thongs, contact our foot and ankle team on 08 8130 1222 or visit Archies website at www.archiesfootwear.com.au.
Our podiatrists in Adelaide can provide the following preventative initiatives:
- Individual assessments and patient specific programs developed and implemented for balance and strength development, with particular focus on feet and lower limbs.
- Dance assessments to screen particularly pre-point dancers to identify their strengths and challenges.
- Falls prevention and balance classes in conjunction with our exercise physiologists.
- Footwear assessment and education help patients to make informed choices as to the most appropriate footwear for their foot type and specific activities. We provide a specialist, custom shoe fitting service with JoggersWorld to the South Australian community.
- Gait assessments help to identify compromising gait patterns.
- General foot care education includes offering information from basic hygiene to self-care practices, possible podiatry interventions to potential referrals to other medical specialists.
- Condition specific foot care education to help minimise foot and lower limb complications.
- Vascular and neurological assessments of the feet and lower limbs.
- Ongoing general foot care, maintenance and treatments to help maintain optimal foot health and condition.
With a wealth of experience and knowledge coupled with the latest innovations in patient technology, our podiatrists provide the most appropriate and comprehensive treatment options available for foot and ankle conditions.
- Treatment plans suited specifically to the individual patient to ensure optimal outcomes in a timely manner.
- Pre and post-operative management of foot and ankle conditions, working closely with our foot and ankle surgeons.
- Experience and skills that can help the following patients:
- Athletes of all standards
- Management of routine type foot care for all ages and patients including those with workers’ compensation and third party claims.
- Foot and Ankle Clinic for patients with complex foot and ankle conditions to have their case reviewed and appropriately treated by a multidisciplinary team of sportsmed practitioners.
Our foot and ankle surgeons and podiatry team will co-exist in a new ‘foot and ankle wing’ of the Stepney Healthcare Hub to improve the patient rehabilitation process. A similar service offering will be available at all podiatry locations.
- Streamlined foot and ankle post-operative reviews due to the changes in clinic environment and shared spaces.
- Manage early foot and ankle post-operative wound and dressing requirements allowing clear and concise messaging to the patient by reducing multiple visits.
- The change in clinic set-up will allow clearer and more efficient communication between surgeon and podiatrist.
- Working closely with Adelaide Occupational Medicine and Occupational Physician Dr David Cullum to ensure best practice in rehabilitation for workers’ compensation patients.
- Using the latest advancements in mobility devices, orthotics and braces – both customised and generic – to allow efficient and evidence-based return to normal function.
- Podiatry based intrinsic foot muscle programs to ensure optimal return to function, and assisting in the future health and mobility of the patient.
Foot and Ankle Clinic
In a first for South Australian healthcare, sportsmed provides patients with challenging foot and ankle conditions the chance to have their case reviewed by a dedicated team featuring our foot and ankle surgeons, podiatrists and physiotherapists. The panel of experts work together to solve these complex cases.
The revolutionary clinic, which is the first of its kind in South Australia, began in 2011 and has since helped many patients to understand their problems and receive the appropriate treatment to assist them in making a full recovery.
We specialise in preventative care, treatment and rehabilitation for a range of ailments, injuries and conditions of the hip, knee, foot, ankle, shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand. Our fact sheets are designed to provide you with a brief overview and basic understanding of the range of ailments, injuries and conditions relevant to the upper and lower limbs.
Learn about condition symptoms, non-operative and surgical treatment options, risks and complications, recovery times, and much more. Please keep in mind that treatment methods and outcomes vary from patient to patient. Each individual patient has specialised requirements that may be different to the information provided on the fact sheets.
Make an appointment
Our podiatrists are available at the below sportsmed locations with appointments available Monday to Saturday. To make an appointment with one of our podiatrists, contact the location directly or email firstname.lastname@example.org. A GP referral is not required.
- Stepney Healthcare Hub – 08 8362 8122
- Blackwood – 08 8130 1181
- Henley Beach – 08 8353 0111
- Morphett Vale – 08 8130 1110
All patients including private health members, uninsured, workers’ compensation, DVA, third party and public liability patients are welcome at sportsmed.
Day of appointment
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your allocated appointment time. Our staff will provide you with the appropriate paperwork required to be completed before the consultation with your practitioner.
Our podiatrists understand that the cause of the problem and an accurate diagnosis is the key to effective treatment, therefore every patient will undergo a thorough and comprehensive assessment process. We aim to work in conjunction with our patients to develop individual treatment plans that are effective and relevant to their condition. When necessary, advanced diagnostic tools including x-rays (available onsite at Stepney) and computerised gait analysis will be used.
Should you require the combined skills of other sportsmed practitioners to help reach an appropriate diagnosis, such as one of our physiotherapists and/or our Foot and Ankle Surgeon, we will assist you in this process and liaise with them to provide you with the most appropriate and effective management plan for your needs. Our podiatrists will be more than happy to consult with your own existing medical professionals to ensure your management plan is consistent and free from confusion.
What to bring to your appointment
For your podiatry appointment, please ensure you bring the following with you:
- Sports and casual shoes that show wear patterns
- Current orthotics (if applicable)
- Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if applicable)
- DVA card (if applicable)
- Claim number (workers’ compensation and third party patients) and contact details for your case manager*
- Any relevant x-rays, scans and/or medical reports.
*Workers’ compensation and third party patients must have a current claim and approval from their case manager to attend. In the event of a claim not being accepted, the patient is personally responsible for any costs incurred.
For podiatry consultations, please bring along your private health insurance card or relevant documentation (workers’ compensation, DVA, third party etc.), if applicable, and Medicare card to ensure your claim can be processed at the time of consultation.
All private health funds and patients including uninsured are welcome at sportsmed. Podiatry services at our Morphett Vale location are a part of the Health Partners network. Health Partners members are entitled to a special promotion where they will pay only $20 for a podiatry consult*.
Some health funds may cover a percentage of the cost for podiatry services, however we recommend you check your level of cover with your private health fund to know exactly what you are entitled to for each consultation and the gap you may be expected to pay. Any gap payments are expected to be settled on the day of consultation.
You can claim a rebate under a Chronic Disease Management (formerly Enhanced Primary Care or EPC) program which must be obtained via a GP referral. There is criteria to meet to qualify for the program and it is only available to patients with chronic or terminal medical conditions (present for six months or longer).
We provide onsite HICAPS and ask that all accounts are settled on the day of consultation via EFT, Visa Card, Mastercard, cheque or cash.
*Promotion valid for podiatry services between 01 Jan 2019 and 31 Dec 2019 for Top and National Extras members. Promotion is only valid for podiatry services at sportsmed Morphett Vale and relates to a gap of $20 towards an initial (item F004) or subsequent (item F012) consultation up to annual Podiatry limits. Conditions, waiting periods, restrictions and exclusions may apply. Podiatry benefits are not payable where a Medicare rebate has already been applied to the service.
We understand your time is valuable. All of our practitioners endeavour to run on schedule and your punctual attendance will assist this. Please feel free to ring us 30 minutes prior to your appointment to confirm if your practitioner is running on time. Should you arrive late for your appointment your practitioner will do their best to provide you with your full treatment time, but in rare instances, appointments may need to be rescheduled.
We do ask that you contact us and give at least 24 hours notice should you need to reschedule or cancel your appointment. Regular cancellations or cancellations with less than 24-hour notice may incur a cancellation fee.