Our highly trained and experienced physiotherapists offer a variety of services to ensure our patients feel their best. Physiotherapy can help reduce stiffness and pain, increase mobility and improve quality of life. We provide a hands-on, exercise and evidence-based practice, utilising a range of techniques including:
- Exercise prescription
- Continence and pelvic floor physiotherapy
- Mindfulness training
- Advice for lifestyle, sport and work
- Dry needling
- Gym-based rehabilitation.
Our physiotherapists are available Monday – Saturday at the below sportsmed locations. To make an appointment or enquiry, contact the location directly or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stepney Healthcare Hub – 08 8362 8122
Monday – Friday: 7:00am – 7:00pm
Saturday: 8:00am – 1:00pm
Blackwood – 08 8130 1181
Monday: 8:00am – 7:00pm
Tuesday: 8:00am – 6:00pm
Wednesday: 8:00am – 7:00pm
Thursday: 8:30am – 6:30pm
Friday: 8:00am – 7:00pm
Saturday: 8:00am – 11:30am
Our physiotherapy team utilise education and early intervention measures to prevent injury. Patients receive an individual assessment to determine injury and chronic condition risk factors that can be avoided with the appropriate preventative treatment and care.
- Ergonomic advice for workstations and posture
- Sports or activity specific injury prevention
- Team sports, dance, gym programs etc.
- Athlete or event-specific training
- Advice and exercise in chronic condition management, including arthritis, chronic pain management and diabetes
- GLA:D Osteoarthritis Program – best first treatment for hip and knee osteoarthritis
- Women’s health services to assess those at risk of pelvic floor dysfunction such as during/after pregnancy, gynaecological surgery etc.
- Strength and conditioning
- Understanding of sports-specific team warm-ups that reduce injury risk
- Particularly Netball Australia’s KNEE program, FIFA 11+ (soccer) and FootyFirst (Australian Rules Football)
- Physical screenings – Series of individual measurements of muscle lengths and functional outcome tests to identify potential areas for injury prevention
- Expert advice in the most appropriate support for injury prevention or management.
When visiting for treatment, our physiotherapists will conduct a thorough and accurate assessment of your injury and explain in detail the cause, implications and recovery expectations. They also utilise directed hands-on and/or exercise-based management.
- Treatment for multitude of musculoskeletal conditions – joints, ligaments, muscles, nerves, tendons, and structures that support limbs, neck and back
- Tailoring treatment plans to individual patient needs and goals
- Gym programs for a multitude of issues including osteoarthritis, lower back pain, poor mobility etc.
- Hydrotherapy – individual programs for chronic conditions such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and chronic pain
- Occupational therapy – expert assessment and management of predominantly hand injuries. Custom made splinting as required.
Our physiotherapy team provide full, detailed individualised rehabilitation programs, and regular guidance and support to help you recovery from injury or surgery.
- Physiotherapy-based exercise prescription
- Individual home, gym-based, running, and sports-specific rehabilitation programs
- Goal-based return to play process
- Post-operative care and protocols for variety of upper limb, lower limb and spinal surgery
- Aimed at optimising the client’s strength, mobility and function to best suit their sport, work and/or lifestyle requirements
- Workers’ compensation rehabilitation model of in-house physiotherapy management linked into exercise physiology and gym
- Hydrotherapy – individual programs for chronic conditions such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and chronic pain.
GLA:D Osteoarthritis Program
GLA:DTM, or Good Life with Arthritis: Denmark, is an education and exercise program developed by researchers in Denmark for patients with hip or knee osteoarthritis symptoms. It is now available at our Stepney Healthcare Hub with several of our physiotherapists.
This education and exercise program reflects the latest evidence in osteoarthritis (OA) research. It also includes feedback from patients with osteoarthritis and trainers on what works in the real world to help patients manage osteoarthritis symptoms.
We specialise in preventative care, treatment and rehabilitation for a range of ailments, injuries and conditions of the hip, knee, foot, ankle, shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand. Our fact sheets are designed to provide you with a brief overview and basic understanding of the range of ailments, injuries and conditions relevant to the upper and lower limbs.
Learn about condition symptoms, non-operative and surgical treatment options, risks and complications, recovery times, and much more. Please keep in mind that treatment methods and outcomes vary from patient to patient. Each individual patient has specialised requirements that may be different to the information provided on the fact sheets.
Make an appointment
Our physiotherapists are available at the below sportsmed locations with appointments available Monday to Saturday. To make an appointment with one of our physiotherapists, contact the location directly or email email@example.com. A GP referral is not required.
- Stepney Healthcare Hub – 08 8362 8122
- Blackwood – 08 8130 1181
- Henley Beach – 08 8353 0111
- Morphett Vale – 08 8130 1110
All patients including private health members, uninsured, workers’ compensation, DVA, third party and public liability patients are welcome at sportsmed.
What to bring to your appointment
For your physiotherapy appointment, please ensure you bring the following with you:
- Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if applicable)
- DVA card (if applicable)
- Claim number (workers’ compensation and third party patients) and contact details for your case manager*
- Any relevant x-rays, scans and/or medical reports.
*Workers’ compensation and third party patients must have a current claim and approval from their case manager to attend. In the event of a claim not being accepted, the patient is personally responsible for any costs incurred.
Day of appointment
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your allocated appointment time. Our staff will provide you with the appropriate paperwork required to be completed before the consultation with your practitioner.
In order for your practitioner to provide you with the best possible treatment and care, a detailed understanding of your past and present health is required. Please advise your practitioner of your previous medical history, current medical conditions and the medications you are taking, including those purchased over the counter. This information is very important. It may affect how you recover from your condition/injury and also potentially alter the course of treatment.
Once your practitioner has examined you, he will discuss your condition/injury with you and the necessary treatment plan. It is vital that you fully understand your condition/injury, treatment options available to you, your practitioner’s recommendations, potential risks associated with treatment and recovery time. If you have any questions or concerns, please discuss them with your practitioner at the time of consultation.
For physiotherapy consultations, please bring along your private health insurance card or relevant documentation (workers’ compensation, DVA, third party etc.), if applicable, and Medicare card to ensure your claim can be processed at the time of consultation.
All private health funds and patients including uninsured are welcome at sportsmed. sportsmed is also a Bupa Members First Healthcare Provider for allied health services, ensuring patients with Bupa private health receive exclusive benefits including more money back on claims. Physiotherapy services at our Blackwood and Morphett Vale locations are also a part of the Health Partners network. Health Partners members will pay just $12 a visit* for physiotherapy consultations, while they will have access to a higher limit to be covered for more treatment.
Generally most health funds will cover a percentage of the cost for physiotherapy services, however we recommend you check your level of cover with your private health fund to know exactly what you are entitled to for each consultation and the gap you may be expected to pay. Any gap payments are expected to be settled on the day of consultation.
You can claim a rebate under a Chronic Disease Management (formerly Enhanced Primary Care or EPC) program which must be obtained via a GP referral. There is criteria to meet to qualify for the program and it is only available to patients with chronic or terminal medical conditions (present for six months or longer).
We provide onsite HICAPS and ask that all accounts are settled on the day of consultation via EFT, Visa Card, Mastercard, AMEX, cheque or cash.
*Initial and subsequent consults on Top and National Extras cover with a Health Partners Participating General Physio. A higher gap payment may apply if you choose to see a Qualified Master’s Physio, up to annual limits. Waiting periods may apply.
We understand your time is valuable. All of our practitioners endeavour to run on schedule and your punctual attendance will assist this. Please feel free to ring us 30 minutes prior to your appointment to confirm if your practitioner is running on time. Should you arrive late for your appointment your practitioner will do their best to provide you with your full treatment time, but in rare instances, appointments may need to be rescheduled.
We do ask that you contact us and give at least 24 hours notice should you need to reschedule or cancel your appointment. Regular cancellations or cancellations with less than 24-hour notice may incur a cancellation fee.